Sunday, March 8, 2015

7DRL Day 1

Yesterday was devoted to getting the hex grid running properly, and to stripping out the parts of the SpaceRL game that I didn't need.



These maps are supposed to represent planet surfaces, so I have them wrapping horizontally but not vertically (kind of like a Mercator projection). It took a bit of head-scratching to get my viewport code to duplicate things properly when they are straddling the edge, but that's all working great now. You can run around and the view keeps you in view, and the window's resizable.

Today's task is to try to come up with a good core mechanic. I've begun work on having monsters path toward the player and I am going to experiment with various methods of dispatching them. If I can get a good rhythm for that then I'll look into a signal-hunting mechanic to encourage exploration of the map. There are lots of other things that can be layered on top, but the central player-versus-monsters thing needs to be settled.

No comments: